Inspired by Nicole's baby sweater, I decided that what I wanted was a gigantic one for myself. After some recalculating, I came up with this.
I cast on 64 stitches and did the increases according to EZ. I put in about 10 rows worth of short rows to raise the back (5 extra ridges) after the first round of increases. After switching to gull stitch, per pattern, I divided for the sleeves. I should have held 31 stitches for each front, 37 stitches for the sleeves and the rest for the back, but I messed up and only held 25 stitches for the fronts. oops. So my back is particularly poofy (see pic below). I did the sleeves in the round to avoid seaming and cast on an extra 19 stitches for the sleeves. Then when I joined the body, I cast on an extra 16 stitches at each underarm. then I followed the pattern, decreased 10%, did the garter stitch border for 6 ridges and cast off. Next time, I will hold 31 stitches for the fronts, maybe divide for the arms an inch earlier. These pictures are pre-blocking. Now I just need buttons...
I used a cone of School Products merino/cashmere blend. The yarn is bulky weight, and it's very pink. It started with 2426 yards, and I'm not sure how much I used. The cone is still huge, and I think I have enough yarn left for several more baby sweaters.
A dirty little secret- I did not do a gauge swatch before I started. I took the written gauge (3-3.5), assumed I would knit a bit tighter than specified on size 10 needles- a needle size smaller than recommended (10.5-11). After a few rows, I took my gauge in garter stitch, which ended up being about 3 STI. Because it's not a tight fitting sweater, more kimono-bedjacket-like, I think I got away with it. I like the style of it- not just for babies!